Site Inactive
Site Contributions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sovereign of Lords Forum Index -> The Sol Patch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atravidua
Sovereign

re: November 22nd, 2015

Goodbye Alpine Borderlands:

With Heart of Thorns came a new type of borderland in WvW. That means that we have to say goodbye to the old Alpine borderland.

No more Garrison.

No more Hills.

No more Bay.

No more ruins.

And no more Citadel.

As someone that didn’t WvW until after I joined [Sol], this borderland has a special place in my heart. It was my first borderland. Lots of open space for fighting. A castle, which no enemies could invade. The three keeps of Garrison, Hills, and Bay. The 6 camps and 4 towers. It was a daily battle for power over all of these, and when the map was all our color, we would invade the neighboring borderlands.

Imagine clicking the home BL for the first time. Instantly, you’re teleported to the Citadel. To the north, there’s a village, covered in snow, with some beautiful vantage points to see the Citadel and see the mountains in the distance. Inside the Citadel, a ship from EotM would bring additional supplies on a regular basis. Merchants and crafting stations filled the Citadel, along with portals to Eternal Battlegrounds, Lion’s Arch, and the neighboring borderlands.

South of the Citadel is Garrison. It’s our last line of defense against invaders. Bridges, cliffs and ravines made Garrison hard to capture. Difficult for invaders to get to, as it’s just outside the Citadel and on the cliff edge, if it fell, then surely our home BL was doomed.

To the east was Hills. Gorgeous Hills sitting on a cliff face with a ravine between the inner gate and the lord’s room. Fighting on the bridge between the inner gate and the lord’s room usually meant an enemy zerg losing a couple of fighters to the ravine. Falling into this ravine was certain death, even for those with fall traits on. (Believe me, I tried!) With the mountains at the back of the keep, Hills was nearly impenetrable.

In the west was Bay. Bay was guarded with trained sharks in the water. And you had to pass through the water to reach the lord’s room. For those lacking underwater combat experience, it meant sneaking through the water without being seen, only to reach the shore of inner and be met with guards at every gate. The high walls and water surrounding the inner keep was enough to deter some of the faint-at-heart.

In the middle of the map, there were ruins. Capturing and holding these ruins for a length of time granted that team bloodlust. Bloodlust is now a thing of the past and the ruins have been wiped from existence.

One of my favorite memories from the Alpine borderlands… I recall a time where we we matched a tier higher than what we actually were. I think we were facing Gates of Madness, so it must have been right after the move to Sorrow’s Furnace. They had been a pain all week. Insane, Jor, and Silverah (I think) got together and hashed out a plan for Operation: Trident. I’m smiling right now just thinking about this. Basically, each of the 3 guilds chose a keep in GoM’s BL. We ([Sol]) went for Hills. Jor [WAR] went after Garrison. And Silverah (Shadowheart of [mist]) went after Bay. We hit all 3 keeps at the same time. 5 minutes later…..all 3 keeps were ours. We did it so fast that they didn’t even have time to respond before their 3 keeps fell, so we met very little resistance. I remember a few watching us at Hills, but we never fought anyone, other than the guards. It was glorious.

I’ll also miss running the zerg off the cliff at Hills and everyone falling to their deaths around me. Happened every time I commanded. I always forgot that it was too far to fall until it was too late.

So many memories at those 3 keeps. And the towers. WvW has not really been the same for me. the new borderlands will take some getting used to. But I’m sure with the awesome WvW leadership in [Sol] (shoutout to Insane and Ashara!), it won’t take too long for everyone to get used to the new borderland maps.

Will the new desert borderlands live up to the alpine borderlands? Will we have the awesome memories like we did of the Alpine borderlands? We’ll just have to wait and see.

~Angel

SF Secret Santa:

Building a Home:

I don't know about the rest of you, but where I live, the weather is getting colder, my car has frost on it in the morning, and I'm starting to crave peppermint hot chocolates.  This can only mean one thing... Christmas Season is approaching!  And this year, our server, Sorrow's Furnace, is coming together to organize a server-wide Secret Santa event! (Don't know what Secret Santa is? Check out this wiki article here.)

If you've been in [Sol] for a while, you may remember that we've held a Secret Santa event within our guild twice previously - December 2014 and July 2015. Both times it was a huge success; many people signed up, gave generously, and got great things in return! It's tons of fun learning the interests of the person you're playing Santa to, and scouring the market for something special if you so chose.  The best part is, we're using a tier system, so the poorest of the poor players and the richest of the rich players can all have fun participating and know that they'll get something equal in value to what they give.

Sign ups for Sorrow's Furnace Secret Santa run from 11/15/15 - 11/29/15.  See the details of the event and instructions on signing up posted here.  If there's something you don't understand, hop into SF TS and look for a member with a little Santa hat icon - they're involved in organizing the event and can answer any questions you might have. I hope you'll all sign up to participate!  Looking forward to another fun Secret Santa event! 

~Lyra

Since the launch of the game, we've always had a "home" instance, but it wasn't really a home. With Heart of Thorns we were able to get our guild a nice big house.

We captured the Gilded Hollow on October 24th after it won our website poll 18-7 over the Lost Precipice. Anet almost made us all upset as they interupted our first claim attempt with a patch, but we captured the hall with no problem the second time. And what a hall it is! Golden ruins in an underground cavern; I know we're all excited to see how this place looks once we've completed all of our upgrades!

Speaking of upgrades, we've gotten an awful lot considering how long we've had the hall and how expensive some of these ingredients are. At this time, we're guild level 25 out of (what appears to be) 40. This is all thanks to the members coming together and helping to build something fun for everyone. Thank you all who've donated your mats to the treasury! We see you out there!

ladyfiretiger, Mistress Elemental, Sparks, Galasso, TitanLeo, Talon, AngelWriter, Luuke Skywalker, Marcooz, midoriKaizer, Degyn, thetrumpetguy, Drevlock, Mineness, Remaran, Badger, Bill Crowther, Harry Bigglesworth, jike mones, FondleMyWookie, Der Buck, Ari, Mel, Bryansk, Albinofury, Sylvanis, argieatyou, Badwolf, Eliste, Excursion, SnarKs, Blaze Stormwrynn, mood waffle, reco, Dannvasquez, qwerty, Everskye, GodTierich, Osiris, groovy sneezes, Entro

We've still got a ways to go, so if you're looking to help with the building of the guild hall, check out this thread! It's updated almost daily and has info on the things we're trying to gather ingredients for and mats that are used in many different upgrades. It also has a "how to deposit" guide in the second post.

~Atra

The Hollows Were Haunted:

Heart of Thorns came out on October 23rd. On October 24th we sought out to capture our Guild Hall and then proceeded to have a Halloween Costume Contest. The turn out for this contest was wonderful! There were so many great costumes to judge. Buttons, Lyra, and I had so much fun looking at all of your costumes and seeing your creativity!

The winners had some really fun ideas. In first place was Ari on the character A Bauss. Ari came as Thor, The God of Thunder and won a choice of an armor set or outfit from the gem store. They picked the Crystal Arbitor pack, which was more than what we were offering as a prize so they paid the difference (everything worked out and they're happy with their prize). In second place was Badger on the character Airiana Grande. His character was the pop singer, Ariana Grande, out at a halloween party. Badger won a Self-Style Hair Kit from the gem store. In thrid place was Sylvanis on the character Crimson Maou. He modeled this after an anime character from the show Maoyu and won the option to choose one of the Shadow Dyes from our guild bank. He choose the Shadow Red Dye.

We look forward to more Halloween parties and contests with you all!

~Atra

Heart of Thorns A Guildie's View:

It's been almost a month since the release of GW2's first expansion: Heart of Thorns. I spoke with some of our guildies to see how everyone's enjoying the xpac. Want to talk about your experience with the xpac?  Copy the questions below, type in your answers and post it in the comments section! I love to hear how each person is enjoying the game in different ways!

How many mastery levels do you have?

Miku: 161
Sylvan: 137
Buttons: 24
Sweetcheekx: 86
Bryansk: 14
Ergo Phoenix: 67

What's your favorite thing mastery points have allowed you to do?

Miku: Glide forever and ever. Advanced gliding allows you to not have to worry about energy and falling anymore. You can glide all the way  from SCAR Camp Waypoint to Dragon's Passage Waypoint.
Sylvan: Definitely gliding. Specifically advanced gliding because you get to explore without worry  of falling.
Buttons: Flying through the canopy for hours nonstop, as a quaggan. 
Sweetcheekx: It's a tie between auto-looting and the general ability to glide. 
Bryansk: The new ways I can explore and experience content. I like how the masteries are synced with the new maps, but I also like how they add new ways to existing content in central Tyria. I just wish there was more for central Tyria.
Ergo Phoenix: Auto pick up loot.

Is there anything cool / fun / hidden in the new areas that you really enjoy?

Miku: The adventures are awesome >:O.  The racing, shooting, and jumping challenges are fun to get good times or medals on.
Sylvan: I really enjoy the intricacy of Tangled Depths, and love to explore that area.
Buttons: In the new WvW BL, behind a waterfall, there is a secret Quaggan hatchling training area. They have a few of the cats from the old BL in there too. No sign of the swinging kid though.
Sweetcheekx: I enjoy the challenges of mapping, although Tangeled Depths is really hard for me. I also like working on new achievements. 
Bryansk: I'm torn between gliding and the bouncing mushrooms. 
Ergo Phoenix: When I unlocked Nuhoch Wallows and used it in Verdent Brink to find a lone froggy playing the guitar. That was cool I thought.

Whats your favorite of the new specs?

Miku: I've pretty much only played Chronomancer so.. that one xD.  I loooooove the new mesmer.
Sylvan: Druid, by far. Great utility and awesome heals.
Buttons: In terms of utility, Herald. For fun, it's Daredevil. But my favorite all time is Scrapper.
Sweetcheekx: Oh boy, not sure yet. I'm not spec savy. I haven't done too much with that yet, but I do like Druid.
Bryansk: Tempest first, but also Dragonhunter and Daredevil.
Ergo Phoenix: Chronomancer.

What do you like about the class that was different than before?

Miku: Before HoT, a mesmer had to completely sacrifice all dps to do anything with shatters, because it took forever to get phantasms up again. But [Chronophantasma] solved that problem completely. And now I have phantasms and shatter, and I never run out of clones.
Sylvan: Rangers are more accepted into dungeon and fractal groups now because of that elite spec. Druid also increases damage output of a party, so that's a plus.
Buttons: Herald: I can get as high as 15k crits on serveral enemies at once if I line it up right.  Daredevil: Kung-fu is just fun. Scrapper: You know I've been praying to Colin (praise be to Him) since day one to bestow upon poor Bilbo Buttons a hammer to smack his enemies. Dreams do come true.
Sweetcheekx: Rangers now offer healing... so much healing.
Bryansk: For Tempest, I like the new functionality of our F1-4 skills, and the shouts are a pretty neat addition. Dragonhunter, I like the long range (finally!) for guardian. For Daredevil, dodging as a thif is a fun mechanic, so anything that lets me dodge more is great. Plus the staff skills are fun.
Ergo Phoenix: Mesmer now has flexibilty with chosing traits. You can use all sorts of useful builds in both PvE and PvP. Before, it was more restrictive.

Anything else your particularly enjoying or excited for?

Miku: I'm looking forward to all the new legendary weapons and armor. Also, I'm loving the new fractals system!
Sylvan: I'm really excited for raids. I've always wanted a real endgame challange, so hopefully this will cover it.
Buttons: I'm really enjoying the Dragon Stand meta event, and the interesting mechanics that have made the living story and PvE in general more engaging and challenging. I'm pretty excited to see how raids will turn out, hopefully better than the dungeon face roll we're all used to.
Sweetcheekx: Excited for raids. Interested in what it's all about. I didn't get a preview of it in beta.
Bryansk: I'm excited to try the raids when they launch.
Ergo Phoenix: I'm really excited for raids, i think that'll be fun. As for right now, I like helping people do heroes points, believe it or not.

~Lyra

Tiva Rae

re: November 22nd, 2015

OMG I love this...we need more of this, people are willing to add to it if that is allowed.  I'd like to write a retrospective on WvW or memories or something that takes us back to the good old days.  Or how about how, when and why you joined Sol in the first place...a sort of honored memories piece.  And would like us to take a new guild photo one day, in our guild hall!  And we also need to find a cool spot in our guild hall and have a beach party and BBQ and dance thingy.  So much to get to!  So little time!  lol I'm wlling to help where I can help, just let me know.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sovereign of Lords Forum Index -> The Sol Patch All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: