Site Inactive
Site Contributions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sovereign of Lords Forum Index -> Member Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistress Elemental
Lord Colonel

re: Running Multiple Clients

Hello everyone, I wanted to give anyone else the ability to run more than 1 game at a time if you have multiple accounts like me. This program makes it very easy to run your accounts on 1 computer. Keep in mind that more than 1 game will need a mildly good CPU.

In my case, I run the other games in low graphics with my main keeping the mid level graphics and it works well. I have also run it on my work computer which is a mid level laptop and it worked (all be it rather sluggish but worked).

The instructions in the tool should help you set things up and get it going but I have also provided some basic instructions below.

Gw2 Launcher

There are 2 ways I know of to use this tool. The basic way, and the advanced way. The advanced way is how I currently use it but it requires more work to configure everything.

Basic Instructions:

1. Before Setting up the launcher, you will need to extract the program from the archive you downloaded. This program can be anywhere you want it to be. I personally just keep it in the Guild Wars 2 game folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2) but you can store it where ever you would like. Keep in mind there are 2 versions, a x32 and x64 version. In most cases, you will need the x64 version as the game now primarily runs as a 64bit version of the client. You would only use the x32 if you are for some reason using the 32bit version still.

2. Once extracted, you will want to create a shortcut for it and have that shortcut where ever you would like it.

2a. For example, you can create the shortcut

2b. and then move it to the desktop

3. Once you have created the shortcut, you will want to start the program. After you start it, you will get a window like below and click "add account"

4. In the first tab, you will name the entry and select the windows account it will use to launch the game. The name can be what ever you wish. The windows account will need to be the account you log into when you start your computer. (Unless you have multiple accounts for family members, you will most likely have just the one.)

5. For the launch arguments, most of this you can leave blank. The only setting you may want is the "Automatic login" and the "Windowed mode". The Automatic login will be the username and password you use to log into that first account. The window mode allows you to set how and where the game will appear. This is useful if you are setting up 5 accounts like me and want them to start in even areas around your screens. (For example, i have my main account load to my main monitor, and my 4 alt accounts are split into 4 even screens on my 2nd monitor.)

Update 6/27/2019: It is no longer possible to use the "Automaticlogin" in the launcher because Anet removed the command line arguments that supported that. The only way now is when first using the launcher to start the account in Normal Mode, you have to enter your username and password in the actual Guild Wars 2 launcher window that comes up, and make sure to check "Save Username" and "Save Password", then check the "Autostart" box. This all only works if each account is using its own local.dat file though, otherwise if they all use the same local.dat file, they all will have the same username and password saved.

6. The Local.dat section is the most important tab. This is where the difference between Basic and Advanced setups come into effect. The Local.dat file is where all your information about your Guild Wars 2 game is stored. Any Graphic Settings, Key Bindings, Sound Settings, and so on get stored here. For a basic setup, you will be setting up the program so every game will share the same settings. While this makes the setup easy, it also prevents changes from occurring. If you change a setting in the game, it will not be saved because the Local.dat file has to remain locked so the other accounts can still access it.

(Update 6/27/2019: You must use separate local.dat file for each account now if you want the username and password saved for each one.)

6a. For the first game that needs to be setup, you need to point the program to your existing Local.dat file that Guild Wars 2 has been using. You will need to click the button "...".

6b. Then browse to the folder where it is stored. The path will be "C:\Users\[User Account]\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2" replacing the [User Account] with what ever your windows account name is called.

6c. Once you have located the Local.dat file, press open, and then "OK" on the dialog box, and then "OK" once more to complete setting up the first account.

7. Now that the first account is setup, you can setup the remaining accounts. You will need to "Right-Click" on the first account and select "Create a new account".

8. All of the steps are the same for the remaining accounts with the exception of the Local.dat selection. For all of the alt accounts using the basic setp, you will want to select "Share with" and select the first game you setup.

(Update 6/27/2019: Only use "Share with" if you do not intend to have the username and password saved for each account. Instead use "Copy from".)

9. After you have completed configuring all of your accounts, you will have an interface much like mine below. you can click on each account one by one to start them separately, or you can Right-Click on any of them and select "All->Launch" to start them all at the same time.

10. Bare in mind that you need to keep each game synced so every time Anet pushes out a update to the game, you will need to Right-Click and select "All->Update". This will force all of the games to grab the new content. If you do not do this, the games will not launch.

If you ever need to make changes to the game settings and you configued it to share the local.dat file (graphics, sounds, key binds, ect) you will want to Right-Click on the first account, choose "Selected->Launch Normal". This will launch that game without the local.dat file being locked and allow you to make changes to the game. After you close that game, all of your games will have the settings from that point on.

You will not need to do this if each game has its own local.dat file.

Advanced Instructions:

With the advanced setup, its much the same as the basic instructions except each game uses a different Local.dat file allowing all of the games to have different settings. In my case, I use my main account with decent graphic settings, but all my alt accounts have the lowest settings for the best performance.

To setup the program with the advanced settings, it is mostly the same steps but it requires you to create separate unique Windows User Accounts for each game to load each of the Local.dat files. You can see from my screenshot, you will need to create a windows account for each game and with each game you setup in the launcher, you will make sure they each use a separate account. For now this is all I can provide since it would take time to provide those instructions.

PassMark Rating
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sovereign of Lords Forum Index -> Member Public Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Most Recent Images
Uploaded by: Atravidua on 2018-12-30 16:27:41
Art Contest: Chromodynamix
Uploaded by: Atravidua on 2018-12-30 16:26:08
Art Contest: Vilstress