Site Inactive
Site Contributions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sovereign of Lords Forum Index -> Member Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistress Elemental
Lord Colonel

re: Ever wonder what the damage of a power surge looks like?

So recently, a PC I had setup at my mothers house that we use for watching TV shows when I come over (and to download things during the week for myself) took a power surge. At first we found the problem because the TV went out. Once I got the TV home and cracked it open, I found this at the HDMI port the computer was plugged into:

Well after seeing that, I of course had to see what damage the PC took. Luckily the PC still works, well sort of. As you can see, the video card did not fair so well at the HDMI port again:

I marked with arrows all of the obvious spots of damage. You can see that on the video board of the TV, the HDMI controller chip now has a hole in it. The power surge basically made it explode. The video card is pretty much the same with a transistor having a hole in it too. I just thought I would share all of this just in case your were curious what the damage from a power surge looks like. USE A SURGE SUPPRESSOR!

PassMark Rating
Mistress Elemental
Lord Colonel

Well I have even more sad news. After The video card and TV died, I let my mother borrow another TV I had and i setup my PC to just use the on-board video.......Well who knew that was a bad decision.

The is now the current state of my motherboard that was in that PC. Clearly, there is a problem with the outlets at my mothers house because it is destroying the HDMI ports for some reason. Thankfully both the motherboard and the video card are under warranty still and I hope they replace them.

PassMark Rating
Mistress Elemental
Lord Colonel

Well after collecting everything else from my mothers house, the aftermath was much worse than I thought. Here are the 1TB and 2TB usb3 drives I had hooked up to my PC. Also the USB Keyboard is dead and who knows what else. I am now worried that the CPU, and memory are toast too but I wont really know till my motherboard and video card comes back from RMA. This really sucks.

PassMark Rating
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sovereign of Lords Forum Index -> Member Public Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Most Recent Images
Uploaded by: Atravidua on 2018-12-30 16:27:41
Art Contest: Chromodynamix
Uploaded by: Atravidua on 2018-12-30 16:26:08
Art Contest: Vilstress